Sometimes things just happen out of the blue. Since I last posted I have been on a general low that has been highlighted by some great moments. As I said in my last post, I have taken a lot on recently, and over the past two weeks some of that has taken its toll although I think it is mostly worth it. One downside of being busy is that I don’t have the time to look after myself mentally, the mindfulness and the CBT techniques go by the wayside and I find myself getting very physically tired thru the mental stress.
At times like this I need a bit of a kick up the backside, something that normally comes from within. This time however it came from a chance conversation with my younger sister. She had been clearing some stuff out and had found some letters I had written her in 1993 when she had just gone to university. In one of these letters I was telling her that I had been going through some hard times mentally and had been having some therapy whilst being off work for six weeks. Now I know that I went through some anxiety issues back then but I must have blanked out the therapy and six weeks off work because it was quite a shock reading about it.
The best thing about the letter though, and kind of the point of this post, is that I had written down a list of ‘ 10 challenging ideas to think about ‘, and I thought I would share them with you. So here they are, and I hope they help some of you 🙂
- This is it ! There are no rehearsals. Your life is up and running.
- There is no way that you can get everything you want. You may satisfy some of your needs but you will always feel some dissatisfaction.
- You cannot completely control or own anything, especially people. Everything is temporary and everything changes. Get used to change.
- Nobody is stronger or weaker than anybody else. We are all made up of a collection of strengths and weaknesses.
- All important decisions are made on the basis of limited information. Everything has an element of risk.
- All life’s important battles and conflicts are fought within ourselves.
- You are responsible for everything you do. All excuses are unacceptable.
- We all make mistakes. We are all selfish,cheating,vain, greedy and tell lies. Nobody is perfect. learn to forgive yourself and accept your humanness.
- We are all free to do what ever we like. All we have to do is accept the consequences.
- The world is not always just or fair. Being good offers no guarantee of a happy outcome.
I think some of this stuff may be a bit too hard hitting for the therapy of today, but sometimes you get caught up in the darkness and you need some challenging things to think about. I just wish I had written this to myself a few years ago.
Thanks for reading……